Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Work





The first day of work since I began dressing modestly.  Initially I had planned on accepting the fact that I had to wear pants at work.  I would wear a skirt to work, clock in, change, work, change again, and clock out.  Then I decided, after doing a bit of reading on the internet about women and wearing pants, that I would feel much more comfortable wearing a skirt that covered my knees--and happening to have pants on underneath.


To expand on some things I might have said earlier, I can't remember, I want to clarify exactly what is or isn't okay.  I went into detail on my other blog (see A Modest Mitzvah) about what is or isn't okay for a modest Jewish woman to wear.  I didn't really discuss pants much, and as you can see, this issue has come up.  The whole thing about not wearing pants stems from the instruction that women should not don men's clothing, and vice versa.  Of course, the Jews recognize that as times have moved on, pants for women became more common, until they began making them specifically for women.  These days, depending on the rules of ones community, a woman may or may not be able to get away with wearing loose, non-sexy pants.


In any event, I wore this outfit (san-bandana) to work on Sunday, and got no comments about the skirt.  Success!  I can both respect the work safety policy and express my religious freedom at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment