Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Days of White Part 1




This is already beginning to present a challenge.  I don't have a lot of dressy, modest clothing, let alone white dressy, modest clothing.  I see a trip to Goodwill will be in store for me (ha ha), but unfortunately not before Yom Kippur.


Some Jews observe the tradition of wearing white only on Yom Kippur, while some others will wear white both days (as I do), and still others don't wear white at all (generally, this last category doesn't even know about the tradition).  I went to Rosh Hashanah services at my university's Hillel with my brother, and we both wore white.  A peer commented to him something along the lines of "nice white, wrong holiday".  For all of two seconds I contemplated feeling silly, before remembering that one could wear white both holidays.  Not only that, but my wearing white actually made me feel more connected to the holiday.  Rosh Hashanah is probably the second most important Jewish holiday, after Yom Kippur.  Forcing myself to find appropriate white clothing caused my thoughts to dwell on where exactly I was going, more.  What exactly I would be doing there.


I also wore the tallit and matching kippah that I got when I became a bat mitzvah.  While I only wore the tallit during services, I proceeded to wear the kippah throughout the rest of the day (yes, I went to a class...)


On an utterly unrelated note, I believe that this year, rather than detailing what I'm wearing in each outfit, I will try to spend more time writing about the daily implications of said outfits.

No comments:

Post a Comment