Sunday, August 12, 2012

Circuitry For You

The modem thingy.

The circuit board, removed.

The $4-ish shirt from Slobby Lobby.

The general idea.

How I plan to make it work.

Circuit board city!

Finished, fig1!

Finished, fig2!

This is a shirt that I made for Boyfriend last year.  I took apart an old modem-type thing and bought a few things from the local craft store (a t-shirt, fluffy backing stuff, and velcro squares).  The backing is used to protect one's chest from all the pokey bits on the back of the circuit board.  The velcro is obviously used to affix it to the shirt.  Perhaps the cleverest part, in my opinion, is the fact that it is entirely washable.  With the velcro, the circuit board can be detached from the shirt.  One important part was to sew the velcro onto both the shirt and the backing.  The squares I bought came with sticky backing so for some applications, sewing is not necessary but with all the wear and tear I would expect it to take in this project, I figured it would be best.  Unfortunately, the stickiness made sewing quite difficult--I had to do it by hand, and the needle kept getting incredibly gunked up.  I poked my fingers several times =(  BUT, the end project was so worth it, and in the past 8 or 9 months since I gave it to him, the boyfriend has worn it all of two times!  Maybe.  >.>


No comments:

Post a Comment